Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Connecting Factor of Handbags

Handbags are a connecting factor in the majority of women's life. They give us something to talk about, something to appreciate, something to be proud of and carry with confidence. You will find women from all walks of life who carry some sort of bag whether it be their trusty backpack, an ultra feminine day clutch, or a jumbo sized carry all, from an 8 year old to a 96 year old.
Handbags tell a story about various times in our lives. Remember the "Hello Kitty" purses you would carry as a child or the long strapped handbags we carried in the 90s. Thinking back we must've all looked so cool or maybe back then it was "hip" in our ultra big bangs still lingering from the 80s with our purses hanging down at arms length. My bags, until recently, could carry a small child and 8 of its favorite toys and still have room for my things. Lately, I am going for a more streamlined look that hopefully screams, "hey, I have my life together and running smoothly so I don't NEED all that mess" so I compartmentalize in a high powered day clutch. Needless to say, this is not what is really going on, I don't think anyone really has their life running so smooth they only need their lip gloss and a few essentials but hey, its a very nice look if I must say so myself! My grandmother used to carry a clutch as her handbag...for so long I've always thought it was because it was so lightweight but secretly, I think she was just on the cusp of a great new trend way ahead of her time. Think about what your handbag says about you. Does it speak to others how you are a wonderful mother to two kids with mid day snacks, crayons and blank paper overflowing? Maybe it shows a different side others do not get to see quite so often, your wild side! It is so much easier to express yourself in a handbag as it does all the speaking for you when it is too hard to open your mouth. In high school I was super shy and quiet to everyone who knew me at school but when I was out with my friends I couldn't stop my mouth from running. If I had been so fashionable then possibly I would've carried a handbag that spoke my true personality.

No comments: